Sunday, October 17, 2010

better late than never

Natalie had her 9 month appointment this past week. And she is making amazing strides. Dr. Jen is thrilled with her progress, and since last Wednesday we've even added some dairy back into Nat's diet. Our hope is that she has outgrown her awful cow's milk protein allergy and we can stop feeding her the liquid gold (Nutramigen AA) and get her onto a more affordable formula that her little belly can tolerate. And then, hopefully, even whole milk when she's past 1 year!!!

Anyway, that said, I have been reflecting a lot these past few days as to just how lucky we are that Natalie is here with us to help me tell her tale. We were so lucky... given how early she came, her low birth weight, her first few days in the NICU struggling to gain some solid ground. Someone was looking down on us during that frosty January as she fought to survive...  Natalie managed to avoid so many of the complications she could have faced... I'll say it again - we are just SO lucky. And I tell her that every single day with abundant hugs, kisses, snuggles, and zerberts.

Again, that said... in my reflection, I have to acknowledge what this past Friday signified. October 15th was Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Day. To so many heartbroken families, this is a day to remember those amazing and beautiful little people who tried so hard to fight and unfortunately lost their battles. I know a few people who have had to deal with such loss, and to them, my heart truly goes out. Even one person is one too many. So, as this post's title states, I felt it was better late than never to acknowledge this day. I sit here a humbled woman - realizing just how fortunate I am that my beautiful daughter sleeps soundly upstairs in her crib and continues to awe and inspire us every day with her strength, tenacity, and spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment